Northwest Cardiovascular Associates, S.C.
880 W. Central Rd.
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Cardiovascular Testing and Procedure Information
FOR ALL STRESS TESTS:
No caffeine or dairy products 12 hours prior to test.
DO NOT EAT 2 hours before the test.
If you have DIABETES, ask your doctor if you should take your morning medications before the test.
If you are on a BETA BLOCKER, check with your doctor about holding this medication 24 hrs. before the test.
FOR ANY NUCLEAR STRESS TEST, YOUR ISOTOPE DOSE IS CUSTOM ORDERED. PLEASE GIVE THE OFFICE 48 HRS NOTICE IF YOU MUST CANCEL.
Regular Stress Test or Stress Echo
Test Time: 30 minutes
Preparation: Wear comfortable clothes and appropriate shoes for walking on the treadmill.
Purpose: This test measures your physical condition and heart function. You will be asked to walk on a treadmill that gradually increases in speed every three minutes until you have reached your target heart rate or if you indicate you can't walk anymore. For a stress echo you will have ultrasound pictures of your heart taken before you walk on the treadmill and within a minute after completing the treadmill portion.
Nuclear Stress Test
Pharmacolocigal Stress Test
Test Time: 2-3 hours
Preparation: Check with your doctor to find out if any other medications should be held with these tests. You may not be able to take this type of stress test, if you have ASTHMA.
Purpose: This test is performed on people who cannot walk on a treadmill. You will be injected with a radioisotope and then placed under a special camera for 30 minutes. You will then receive an injection of Lexiscan, be injected again with the isotope and have pictures taken again in 10-15 minutes.
- Carotid Ultrasound
- Time: 20 minutes
- Preparation: Wear a loose fitting shirt.
- Purpose: To take an ultrasound picture of the main arteries of the neck to see if there is any plaque or blockage
- Renal (Kidney)Ultrasound
- Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation: Wear a loose fitting shirt. Eat a light breakfast but NO lunch. Try to have a bowel movement before the test so the technician can view your kidneys clearly.
- Purpose: To take an ultrasound picture of the kidney and/or its main arteries to see if there is any plaque or blockage.
- Peripheral Vascular Ultrasound
- Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation: Wear a loose fitting shirt and pants that are easy to remove you will be provided with a drape for your legs.
- Purpose: To take an ultrasound picture of the arteries in your legs or arms to see if there is any plaque or blockage.
24 Hour Holter Monitor
Test time: 15 minutes for hookup.
Preparation: Wear a loose fitting shirt
Purpose: Detect any irregular heartbeats within 24 hours.
Test Time: 15 minutes for hookup.
Purpose: To allow you to trigger the device if you have any irregular heartbeats or symptoms such as palpitations or dizziness during the test. You will be given instructions on how you will send this information over the phone.